Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Life at the Hotel

Hello everyone!

We are THANKFUL that Dan's computer is connected to the internet...for the moment at least... we still have a few videos to upload if it ever lets us! And thank you FAITHFUL bloggers, we love love LOVE it! We can't begin to tell you how much it encourages us (please keep it up!) Wish we had the time to write each of you back to tell you how special you are to us, so please accept some lovin' through the blog! yay!

We're getting into the groove of daily life at the hotel. Saturdays and Tuesdays (today!) the village ladies bring around fresh veggies, tortillas, english muffins, fruits, etc... YUM! Let's just say that's what we've been eating. And we've been VERY creative with what we have. Even attempting to cook pizza on a stove since the electricty was out all day...not normal, but it worked! Isaac had mashed potatoes for the first time last night and gave them a BIG THUMBS UP!!! Needless to say, that might become a staple! Tonight is his FAVORITE, however, beans and chipote! There will be big grins at the dinner table! He's already asked Megan to make brownies tonight; won't be too hard to consider that request! mmmmmm....chocolate....mmmmm...

We've been taking walks around beautiful Kijabe! We're beginning to realize that we ought to have our camera on us at all moments since it's so incredibly stunning. It blows us away at the way God creates beauty for us to enjoy-- all we can say is WOW!

Today Isaac will get to watch the RVA (Rift Valley Academy...the largest missionary boarding school in Afica or something like that) soccer practice as long as the weather holds. He'd adore that... but he did enjoy our little excursion up to RVA to see the veggie/fruit/etc ladies with all their things laid out... not to mention the crafts!

That reminds us, he LOVES birds. We have a little alcove on the porch outside our room and he sits and watches the birds fly in and out...He's mesmorized... it's great!

His pain is in control, HALLELUJAH!!!! Dressing change is scheduled again for Friday. We got to see his arm this last Friday and things look good; but he didn't (he was sedated). Hopefully Dr. Carter will pull out the pins sometime the week of the 18th through the 21st and we will be headed back to Yei. YAY! :)

We finally got to go to church on Sunday. We went to the English service at AIC and it was a bit like going to church in the states! It even had a projector for the song words! Crazy! Lots of missionaries here, lets just say that... lots... really...

I think that's it for now...Isaac is enjoying a movie compliments of Dan's hospitality! fun stuff!

Much love,
thanks again for all your support!
Hope today finds you smiling!

In Christs strong grip,
Robin, Megan, and Isaac

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so good to hear from you!!! You'd be surprised how many times a day I check to hear from you. I know your internet access is limited but that doesn't stop me. It sounds like life is getting into some routine and more relaxing. I'm glad you're able to enjoy it. Sounds like Isaac is doing great!! What a blessing! I find it amazing how God gives us what/who we need when we trust in Him. You all remain in my prayers and close in heart. Love, Stephanie

karen watts said...

So great to get caught up on your news. I continue to pray during the early morning hours.
Randy and Ryan are leaving for Liberia the 8th, as you probably know. Check his latest entry on his blog if you get a chance.
Tell Dr Carter that the Lord burdened me to pray for Him, too. May God reward you all and may the Lamb who was slain receive the reward of HIS suffering!
I love you all so much,
Karen

Becky said...

Glad to hear things are going well! Robin - if you decide to make Isaac peanut butter cookies, be sure NOT to use the low fat version. Ha ha. Hugs and kisses!

Becky

James R. Mitchell said...

You all are a blessing to us in the states! I am encouraged knowing that the Lord is using you in amazing ways! Also, Robin, I am sure you are being gracious to the Tennessee fans in your midst! (GO BEARS! - It was amazing being at the game, thinking about you!)

Hannah said...

Hi Robin!!! I love reading your amazing blog and seeing the incredible pictures. I made it to Tennessee and have been here a week, woo hoo!!! AND I watched the Tennessee/Cal game the other day...didn't really plan it but there it was on TV, and I thought of you. Lots and lots of love to you!

Anonymous said...

Blessings, Robin. Saw your mom and dad yesterday here at our our house for Chris and Ali's reception. We had our breezy, temperate micro-climate back, thank goodness. Heat is not our thing! Where you are sounds so imcredibly amazing and beautiful. God is good.
Nancy O.

Anonymous said...

Oh my sweet girl! i finally figured out how to leave a comment. How do you have such a luddite for a friend? My heart breaks for Isaac's pain that seemly there are no narcotics available to control. This is the part that finally breaks me and I want to shout, "oh wreched unkind world!" We can give him the surgery, and helpers, but we cant get him pain meds!? I know that no elective plastic surgery was happening in The States without managed pain care. ah, so cruel. And so I pray that Isaac is spared the subconscience imprinting that patients get and that he doesnt associate your presence with unbearable pain but only with God's love, and that some how there will be joy when he sees nurses and doctors, and not fear. The loving, sleepless work you and Meg are doing is tremendous. I praise God for you my sweet girl. Thank you for all youre doing. Grace and peace be with you.

Anonymous said...

Kurt and I are thinking of and praying for you!
much love,
Sarah and Kurt

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah!! Pain FREE!! That is good news, although I'm sure Isaac still feels some discomfort at times (especially with dressing changes). What is the next step for him...more surgery? physical therapy? I love the image I have of you making pizza without electricity!! And I can almost smell the brownies that Isaac requested...sounds like you are all chocolate addicts, too...dangerous!!! Ha.
Love, Luree

Anonymous said...

hey girls!
it is so good to read your news. you guys are champions in praying and listing for what god has to say to you. robin: in knew exactly that you were writing this update cause i hear you telling me all this. i just know your writing from your dts journal!! ;o)
bless y'all from tyler. love, jo.

Phyllis said...

Hey! Good to hear from you again. Meg, I was taking the boys for a walk/jog in the park the other day, and Ladan suddenly yelled out, "Hey! There's Mike Elkins!" It was so random and funny! I had to tell you about it.

What are y'all reading these days? I'm imagining that you're getting some time to read... so let us know what you're learning and how you're growing when you get a chance.

As long as we can work it out, Chet is probably going to go on a trip to India and Nepal in May. We're pretty excited! Can't wait to talk to you again and tell you everything that's been happening here. He's teaching at church next Wednesday, so if you think of it, please pray for him. He's going to be teaching about Simeon and Anna from the book of Luke. Should be really great....

Well, please give Isaac a high five for us... on the good hand! And let him know that we're looking forward to the day that he can give high fives with both hands!

Calee Oas said...

GOOD WORK ROBIN!!! i love and adore you! i am so proud of you! BIG HUGS!!!! can't wait to see you!

Calee Oas said...

GOOD WORK ROBIN!!! i love and adore you! i am so proud of you! BIG HUGS!!!! can't wait to see you!

karen watts said...

Hi Girls! Waking up early again to pray for you. (Lest you think of me as some kind of hero, I usually get time to rest in the afternoons, a privilege I know that very people get). Today I am praying joy, rejoicing and laughter. I have read verse after verse that include those words yesterday and today. And in my mind already was a song we used to sing "He fills my mouth with laughter, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha..." from Ps.126 and guess what verse was in my daily reading this morning! So laugh on dear sisters and brother.
Remind me to tell you about the time I made peanut butter cookies and forgot to put peanut butter in them! Clay sweetly told me that they just tasted like chocolate chip cookies without the chocolate chips. Yuk! That was 20 years ago!
This morning I read a very moving story about a little girl who is not able to experience pain. Sounds wonderful, but she injures herself doing the simplest things, like eating. So I pray like I read that another had prayed that the pain won't be imprinted on Issac's mind. And that when you coompassionately think of his pain, you can take comfort in the gift of pain that actually protects us.
I'm also thinking of a time when I was so medicated that I couldn't feel emotional pain, but I couldn't feel any positive emotion either. What a strange emptiness that was. How generous and great our God is to have delivered me from that! I am not loving pain, physical or emotional, but I'm loving His purposes in it! May He grant you the grace to do the same.
I love you both so much and am so challenged in my own life to live for others because of what you are doing there.
Love,
Karen

Anonymous said...

I thought of you guys as I enjoyed my english muffin this morning -- I wonder if they taste the same as yours? Let Isaac know that there are prayers behind him as he has to go through another bandage change tomorrow. We pray for patience and endurance all around. Love to you "3"! - Sharon

Anonymous said...

Hope things are going well for all of you. You remain in my heart, thoughts, and prayers. I'm in Louisville now. Sat. Phyllis, Ladan & Gabe & I are going to Grand Haven, MI. (my favorite place & the picture on Phyllis' blog) My parents are also coming. They will meet Gabe for the first time. I haven't seen my folks in over a year. Vacation before I return to work. Just wanted you to know you're loved. Isaac keep working hard.
Love, Stephanie

karen watts said...

Hey Megan, remember this?
"I want the joy of the Lord to come down, I want the joy of the Lord to fall down, I want the joy of the Lord in my life.
I want the joy of the Lord to lift me, I want the joy of the Lord to change me, I want the joy of the Lord in my life."
This is what I'm praying for the three of you tonight!
Love,
Karen

karen watts said...

Here are some verses I've been praying for the three of you. You'll recognize what I am praying for Issac.
"Let the righteous be glad; let them rejoice before God; YAH, let them rejoice exceedingly. Sing to God, sing praises to His name; Extol Him who rides on the clouds. By His name YAH, And rejoice before Him. A father of the fatherless...is God in His holy habitation. God sets the solitary in families; He brings out those who are bound into prosperity" Psam 68:3-6a
Much love to the three of you.
Karen