Thursday, January 11, 2007

Mosque

Hey Everyone!
Victor and I went to the Mosque in Kampala yesterday. It was incredible! We were able to meet with a man named Issa. He runs an organization that looks to help dialogue between people from different faith backgrounds.
I was able to share with him about the importance of being able to sit down and build relationships in order that a dialogue on truth and virtue could start. At first he started to say the most important thing was to live in peace with each other and that Islam is not a religion of violence. My response was two fold. I told him first that whether Islam is a violent religion or not is a secondery issue. Yes it is important to discuss this, but I also realize that some extremist Muslims will say yes (in order to bring about ultimate peace by eliminating the enemies of Islam) and others will say they do not believe Islam is violent. Either way it is important to start off talking about the most important issues, such as what is truth and how do we understand what ultimate truth is.
Secondly, I used a word picture for him by using my son Titus as an example. I asked to picture Amber, Titus, and I in a village and Amber is making tea over a fire. Would it be loving for me to let Titus run straight into the fire while I am sitting in a chair with a smile on my face, JUST BECAUSE I DID NOT WANT TO OFFEND HIM by telling him to be careful. This would not be loving...it would be evil of me (John Piper used this in a sermon one time and I just tried to change some of the aspects of the example). The proper and loving thing for me to to do is to get down on my knees and look at Titus in the eyes with a serioud look and tell him that I love him so much and I would hate for him to run into the fire and die. I then would give him a hug and tell him how much I love him. This would be love speaking. In the same way I told Issa that living together in a non violent society is just a means to set up dialogue to discuss what is ultimate truth.
He told me it was unusual for someone to come and want to have these kinds of discussions of such honesty and love.
He then told me that when I come back in August he would have me on his radio talk show and then we would set up times for me to come and teach at the Islamic University here in Kampala! He also said he would set up some teaching and dialogue times for me at the Mosque when I come in August!!!
Thank you so much for your prayers. Please continue that God will open up more doors for continued dialogue!
We head home tonight. Please pray that Titus will have a good flight(s).
We love you all so much.

7 comments:

HollyAnn said...

wow! What an awesome opportunity to spread the gospel! God is good! Praying for your return home and peace for Titus on the flight!

Amanda said...

Wow! How awesome, Vernon! I will be praying for your trip home. I can't wait to see you guys.

arich81 said...

wow! what favor! amen! praying for a safe trip home for everybody and for you all to adjust super quick. much love and prayers and thanksgiving, dear friends.

Becky said...

Vernon, Amber...I am a friend of Rachelle's, and I just wanted to let you know that I've been praying for this trip...I know that God has put each of you in Sudan for a huge purpose...your posts have been an example of that! I'm excited to hear the ways that God continues to use each of you in Sudan, long after you are back home!

Lizzy Robblee said...

AMEN and AMEN! wow... amazing doors have began to open. I have been and will continue to pray for you all, especially as you travel home. I can't wait to see you all and hear your stories and just see ya first hand face to face! i pray that yall adapt to home well- especially titus who won't have all that glorious dirt and rocks to play with when he comes back. Can't wait to see yall!
much love and prayers!
lizzy

Stephanie said...

There are no words to describe my feelings! I love you all! What JOY & GRATITUDE you bring to my heart/life. Thank you, God.
Mom/Grandma

Unknown said...

Hey, I just wanted to tell you thank you. The blogs and videos have been amazing. I really feel like I know what you did there and how the Lord used you all. Thank you for taking the time to help those of us who could not go still be apart of your trip. What a blessing. Can't wait to talk to you and hear more!