Thursday, May 24, 2007

Update from Vernon

***this is the text vernon sent me today. They tried to send the slideshow but for some reason it is not coming through. We will keep trying.***

Hey Everyone!
We just spent the day in Lura and hung out with 10 new orphans. It was an incredible time. Adam has made a slideshow and we are hoping it will lead many to pray for these incredible kids.

The comment which stuck with me the most today was made by a 10 year old orphan, his name is Joseph. When we showed them where they were going to sleep at night Joseph went up to his bed and said, "Even if I do not eat I will stay here." It is so amazing to see how a bed with a mosquito net over it can encourage a child. My prayer is that these children will see everything done as a physical manifestation of the love that Jesus has for them. I pray these children will be strong leaders of Sudan.

On another note...I saw that Amber wrote yesterday about the 3rd anniversary of the death of my dad. As I have been thinking about him during this time the Lord gave me a Scripture which gave me incredible encouragement. Proverbs 24:10 says, "If you faint in the day of adversity, your strength is small." When I read this I was reminded of how great God provides for us in adversity. He wants everything from usbecause of how great His provision is, not because He is sadistic and takes some cheap pleasure in seeing His children hurt. He tells us to be strong in Him and the strength of His might (Eph. 6:10). What great encouragement we have that God has provided for us such an incredible amount of strength in Him that it would be sin to
not grow in strength during tough times. He says we are more than conquerors through Him who loves us (Rom. 8:37). We serve a God of all comfort and compassion so that we can know and feel His comfort in order to comfort others in their times of weakness (2 Cor. 1:3-5). I state all of this so that if you are struggling today (or know of someone who is) then encourage them if Him. He tells us that we can become partakers in His divine nature through His very great and precious promises (2 Pet. 1:3-5). I pray His promises will encourage you to Live unto Life!

Adam and I love all of you and we thank you so much for the
encouragement through the blog.

Love Truth

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vernon, your post for 5/24 was such a precious inspiration of peace in chaos! you are an amazing person who paints beautiful pictures of what you are encountering! thank you! i pray you and adam are having time in God's word together and i'm thankful that you are experiencing HIM at all times! love ya! marie reed-momma

Phyllis said...

Bro--I'm back home, so I'm back to the computer!!! I'm SO EXCITED for these kids! And I'm really grateful to the Lord that you're getting to be part of His plan for their lives. What an incredible honor. As happy as I am that you're there, I CAN'T WAIT to talk to you again! :) It seems that there's a reason that we talk every day when you're here--and every time you're gone, I am reminded not to take that for granted. I can't believe how the Lord has blessed me with such an amazing brother! I LOVE YOU!!!

I am looking forward to seeing the video(s), but don't stress about getting them up while you're there. The text updates are great for now. You'll have time for the videos when you get to Uganda or get back home, so enjoy your time with the kiddos!!!

Anonymous said...

Vern! I can't tell you how much I miss you, but I love being about to read how things are going while you are away. You are doing some amazing work there, and I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back! Take care of yourself and be safe friend. -Jenifer