Sunday, August 26, 2007

FINALLY an update! phew!

Hi everyone!

It's Megan AND Robin today! Fancy that! We left Isaac resting in the hospital so we could come up make some HOT food and get a well deserved change of clothes! So, we just got done reading ALL the comments from the previous blogs, it's been our first chance and the internet has shown us some love today! It really warmed our hearts and gave us some much much MUCH needed encouragement! Keep 'em comin'! *grin* We love you all heaps!

Isaac had his second surgery on Friday. After 7 1/2 hours (and the two of us getting very restless for his return by the end) Isaac was brought back to our small, but colorful, hospital room. We got to chat with Doctor Carter about the surgery. They were able to straighten out Isaac's arm even more (yay!) and bring his wrist to a more "normal" position (they had to take out a row of bones, ouch!). They also straightened his fingers as much as they could and placed pins to keep them straight. From the couple of fingers we can see it rather looks like they have staples in the finger tips! He had to get a graft at his wrist, the top of his hand, and on all four fingers (but not the thumb!). Oh yeah, they were able to bring his thumb from being the wrong direction to the right one. If you're confused look at YOUR thumb and Isaac's now looks about the same! The surgery was tough and Doctor Carter was tired but he left with a smile on his face.

Please pray for patience. The last few days have been difficult as Isaac, yet again, has been in excruciating pain. He is on the mend though as last night he basically slept all night and most of the morning. He's not a happy camper in pain. His attitude, plus a lot less sleep for us, challenges our patience. Its been good that we've been able to teach him how Christ walks along side us in these times, how He sometimes takes us through hard times to get to what He has planned for us, etc... It may not be sitting down and reading his Bible with him, but we are learning that it's another level of how to love and train him about following Christ. Mercy, the chaplain, has been a blessing to us. She's walked beside us every step of the way (and even checked in with us on her day off!) and prays with us and encourages us. We love her. Pray for God to keep blessing her amazing ministry in the children's ward!

Tomorrow is the dressing (on his arm and hand...we do change his clothes, don't worry) change #2... and surgical cleansing. He'll be sedated again so we are already trying to round up the next batch of 80 samosas! ha ha! Doctor Carter says that Wednesday we should be hotel bound for the rest of the recoup! HURRAY!!! That's also done a lot to bolster all of our spirits! He says he will probably just keep the pins in for 3 weeks depending on healing so we might have an early departure to Sudan. We found out we get to fly and Isaac's excited about his FIRST airplane trip. And we are thrilled about not taking the bus. (I, Robin, was supposed to take a bus last time I went to Sudan...but it caught on fire...) Despite the pain and sleep deprivation we are still hopeful and strengthened by God!!!!!!!

We love you all dearly,
you are on our hearts and in our prayers,
Hope today finds that God has blessed your socks off with His grace, mercy, and hope!

Cheers!
Megan, Robin, and Isaac!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robin Megan and Isaac! I pray that the Joy of the Lord will be your strength! keep pressing into him and seeing his amazing ability to blow your mind away. He is and will continue to hold you in his hands xxx

Robin Oas Designs said...

Wow! What an amazing surgery! I had 14 stiches in one fingertip long ago and I still remember how painful that next week was--I can't imagine what Isaac will be going through in his recovery. We'll be praying for extra doses of patience for the 2 of you, it will definately be needed, and that the pain will be managed well for Isaac. Let's also pray that the internet works better than it has been! You guys are doing great....lots of love, Sharon

Anonymous said...

Well, it looks like there's a light at the end of the tunnel (even if it is small). Going through an experience that's so intense is soooo tiring--physically and mentally. Seems like the emotions are all over the place. It's then I really try to sit & "LISTEN" & crawl into our loving Lord's lap & let Him hold me.
Isaac--the pain you must be going through must be awful. It may not seem like it now but it will be worth it. With my knee surgery it's been 2 steps forward and 4 backward. Sometimes all I could do was cry. However, I ALWAYS knew God was with me. Jesus felt lonely and scared in the Garden of Gethsame but his Father NEVER left Him. Without all that pain & agony we wouldn't have salvation. You are in my heart & prayers. We Must remember God has a plan for all this. Hopefully soon you'll be able to play and I'm sure you'll adapt faster than you know. Isaac, you're an extremely brave young man & example of Jesus love. As you start feeling better make sure you take care of Megan & Robin--they have spent alot of time being concerned about you. Try to smile when you can & have some fun. You will all be in my thoughts and I'll look forward to more updates.
In HIS love, Stephanie

karen watts said...

Hello precious friends,
Mike called Friday after he talked to you but I was in Ruidoso with Tricia C., Diane H. and Cindy L. for a prayer retreat and man did we pray. I talked to Kyle later who had received the message from Mike about Issac's surgery going so long... I checked the cell phone when I got home and you may not be surprised to know that at about the same time Mike called to get us to pray, we just "happened" to be praying and part of our time was spent in praying for the three of you. (and we prayed for Mike as well.) Last night, Saturday, was the first night that I didn't wake up at 3 to pray for y'all, but I'm anticipating more prayer times in the fourth watch.
What a precious gift of the Lord that we can communicate from such distances! How I love and praise Him for His mighty deeds! May God sustain you as you trust Him.

SalSaf Ministries said...

Servants, I think you are a perfect picture of what Christ intended for us in regards to serving eachother and taking care of the church body. I have only recently been keeping up with what has been going on with Isaac and the two of you that have been watching over him during this stressful time. I must say, that it is a breath of fresh air this monday morning to read about whe God has been doing in your midst! I will be praying for all that you requested and then some....God bless all three of you!

JH

Amanda said...

Will ya'll be going back to kenya to get the pins taken out of his hand or will that be done in Sudan? I'm leaving for Kenya on Thursday and will be living in Kitale for the next six months.

Phyllis said...

Thanks for the update! We'll keep praying for you all.

karen watts said...

Greetings in the name of our precious Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Praise Him for His mighty acts.
He continues to remind me to pray for you night and day. I love Him for it.
I hope by now you are at the hotel. May God give you creativity as you pass the long hours of each day. May He fill you with the fruit of His Spirit, love, joy, peace, PATIENCE,...
I am so proud of you girls.
II Cor. 1:14 "...on the day when our Lord Jesus returns you will be proud of us in the same way we are proud of you." I had always wondered if it is ok to say I am proud of you and alas! the Lord directed me to this passage!
Keep the faith,
Karen

Judy Mc said...

Megan, Robin, & Isaac, My prayers are with each of you! I wish that I could be there to help with the cookiinig, games, dressing changes and the future therapy. Please know that I am there in spirit. My prayers are lifted up for healing, rest, painfree times of relaxation and fun. Yesterday, I met an old patient who I had taken care of about 3 years ago. Her wounds were huge and very painful. She was not able to do anything for herself. Today she only remembers the care that she got. And how much she loves her life now because God walked with her every step of the way. My prayer is that this struggle would be a distant good and precious memory for Isaac and you girls. That the God who heals and carries us would be more real with each breath that you take. I look forward to hearing about the ultra fast healing that Isaac has. (Don't forget to keep pushing the protein so that he has fuel to heal his skin) And how the therapy goes. Enough of the medical advice. Sweet rest and peace in all the days ahead. In His Loving Arms, Judy

Anonymous said...

Megan,Robin, and Isaac!Glad to hear that things are beginning to go better for you there and that healing for Isaac is taking place. My heart goes out to you for the pain you have had to endure Isaac.Megan and Robin what a blessing you both are in seeing your dedication and commitment in caring for your brother in Christ.
To Megan, my precious daughter, I'm glad you're ok and want you to know you are on my mind. Pray that things will continue to improve and God gives you the strength and rest you need. Lots of love, Dad