Saturday, December 23, 2006

Yei Hospital

Here at the compound Mama Grace is preparing to celebrate Christmas. While we know the joy of who we are celebrating there is still a side of need during this time. Please pray there would be the light of Christ in the dark places.


This is Megan: I will be telling the details of our day….(Vernon, Mike, Bishop Taban and I went to Yei Hospital)

I really don’t have an understanding of how to tell you what I saw today. This hospital is run by Norwegians People’s Aid. They have a primary care center and there is a measles care center. There is a new outbreak of measles and there are seven children there now they are treating. They have to keep them separate from everyone else because there is no cure they just need to treat the symptoms. The worse part of the hospital was the trauma and burn ward. It was so overcrowded that they just put people anywhere they could put them. What I mean by trauma and burns is that people had epilepsy had fallen into a fire and burned their bodies. Some were in motorcycle accidents. Some were victims from the Malakal incident outside of Juba that happened a couple weeks ago where about 300 people died. We were able to go through the ward with Dr. Thon who gave us an overview of each case and the conditions of the hospital.

There were 4 doctors total for too many patients to count. They don’t have the emergency meds available here. I saw darkness, infection. I saw someone who tried to commit suicide, and now he is not responding to treatment. There was a woman who was shot in her chest, but there is no surgeon to remove the bullet and all they can do is console and support her.
The boy with epilepsy-if we could just get him the meds to treat him, then he wouldn’t throw himself into the fire. The meningitis isolation ward had 2 cases. The children looked like they were between the ages of 5 and 10. They are only able to treat the symptoms and they are also trying to prevent the complications. The doctors are really doing all they can to help these people.


Seeing the people, looking at them, I see the darkness of what is inside. I found myself wanting them to cry out to the Lord in their hopelessness. I want them to see the light of His life. You think of the verse Matthew 9:12, it’s not the healthy that need a doctor, but the sick. There is encouragement and hope in what the local church is doing for the hurting and the sick as we are able to see Goli Hospital being constructed by EPC and it’s supporters.

Please continue to pray for our team as we visit Morobo today (the orphanage) and will return tomorrow.

13 comments:

Stephanie said...

Megan--You are all in my prayers. Being in the medical field also, I can't even begin to imagine the feelings you must work through!! God has blessed you with a special gift. We take health so for granted. I love you & keep you close in my heart & mind. Have a blessed Christmas & please give Amber, Vernon Mike, Titus a hug from me.

Anonymous said...

We are thinking of you and praying for you Amber & Vernon!

stepan said...

It is so sad to hear the abject suffering of these people, but encouraging to know they are not alone. Continue to reflect Christ to them, trusting that HE is able to do exceedingly beyond anything we could hope or imagine. The joy and light in your smile is great medicine!

stepan

Anonymous said...

Vernon & Amber...praying for you all and love you tons...Jesus is the healer...Lord we pray for provision and wisdom for the crew there..

And by the way Jaykob Samuel was born on Monday at 10:08 a.m. Go to: http://altics.blogspot.com.

Love you and praying for you...

Anonymous said...

I'm grateful to the Lord for your ministry. Vernon, you've been on my mind and I've been praying for God's grace and strength for you, Amber and the rest of the team. Merry Christmas, Adam Harwood

Lizzy Robblee said...

Was with newter, travis klunick, and borrks jay today and we were all taking about yall and praying for you! glad to know all is going well- great to get the updates. Merry CHRISTmas to the whole team may His blessing of great joy and mercy be upon you as you celebrate, rest and minister at this time in a most precious place!
love yall...squeeze my man titus for me!
Lizzy<><

arich81 said...

totally unrelated...i wanted to get a christmas message to amber...

Sing Mary, Sing
Lullabye The King
Born To Be Our Pardon
No Longer Shall We Weep
Come Soften What Was Hardened
Sing Mary, Sing

much love and prayers to you all, especially titus!

arich81 said...

megan, i pray that you are able to pass off your burden to the Lord, as you were not intended to carry this around all on your own. he will show you how to best bless and shine light in the darkness you saw today. don't get bogged down here. there's much to be done, this is just part. press on and wait for the Lord to show you what to do here.

karen watts said...

Hey team,
I woke up with you on my heart this morning!! May the Lord's joy be your strength. How awesome of our God to allow us to communicate with fellow missionaries around the world. I'm also praying for your families back home.
Have you heard about my sister's (Fonda)auto accident? Please pray for her to be knit back together by our God. Pray that her pain would be minimal. She will likely spend the next few weeks in a rehab hospital and most definitely in a wheel chair for a while. But God is healing her heart!! She has been angry and not speaking to me for many months. But at the hospital, we were reconciled!! Our God is not a waster! He'll never waste our pain if we stay with Him and stay tender to His ways, not resisting His grace.
I love the picture of Titus and his playmate. It moved me to tears and thanksgiving to our God.
One more personal note. Things are much better with Clint and with his daughter Ashley!
"Thus far the Lord has helped us." I Samuel 7:12

Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance."" Jude 1:2

Stephanie said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS! We are all together in His name & spirit.
I love you!
Mom/Grandma
(as Ladan says "Gwamma") YEA!

Melissa said...

Michael and Megan, it is so great to see your hairy (Michael) and beautiful (Megan) faces! I miss you guys like crazy! I hope that your Christmas is amazing. I think and pray for you guys all the time, I hope that all the prayers that have been lifted up by all of us that care about you can be felt. I love you guys so much!

Welfare Melissa (my new nickname)

Anonymous said...

Yay... Christmas in Sudan is finally here! What an amazing blessing to hear all that has been going on with you guys.
Megan, there is such beauty and encouragement in the fact that it truly is the sick who need a doctor, and our God is the true healer~ Amazing.
I love all of you and have been praying Colassians 4:2-6 for yall~ that the Lord may open the door wide for the mystery of Christ to be shared and that he would make it clear how yall ought to speak. Alos that he would give yall wisdom in a foreign place and culture amongst foreign people.
Merry Christmas friends! I am eagerly awaiting word of Christmas in Sudan!
Alli

karen watts said...

Praying for you this windy, cold Christmas morning!!
May the Lord's joy be your strength.
God visited us in church this morning. Wow!!
I pray He visits you as well.
Love,
Karen